Skip to main content

Sour ginger slaw


(EDITED: This photo was selected as the Pic of the Week by Food Network Canada!)

I love a good coleslaw. Oil and vinegar slaws, creamy slaws, alone or piled up on a pulled pork sandwich, they're all good. I selected a red cabbage for this slaw because its squeaky purple leaves are one of nature's most beautiful colours (which I was dying to photograph), with fresh snow peas from my garden and carrot for added flavour and colour, and the whole thing is dripping in a soy ginger vinaigrette.


Here's how I made it:

7 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 cup carrot, julienned
1/2 cup snow peas, julienned
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp ginger root, minced
1 tsp granulated white sugar

I combined the cabbage, carrot, and snow peas in a large salad bowl and set it aside. I combined the rest of the ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and gave it a good shake. Then I poured the vinaigrette over the vegetables and tossed it all together. Pretty easy and knock-me-over yummy!


It's best to pour the vinaigrette at least half an hour before serving to give the vegetables time to soften. I served this with honey garlic baked chicken and brown rice, getting lots of mmms around the table. I love it when that happens!

Have you got a favourite slaw recipe? Does the word slaw sound weird to you? Slaw. Slaw. Maybe I should just call it coleslaw. Nah. Slaw it is.